Monday, February 28, 2011

Hotel Bookings

Having determined we needed to visit Preston to suss out the Uni there, we needed to book an inexpensive hotel overnight. We'd settle for an expensive hotel doing a cheap deal tho'! As we needed two rooms it made everything twice as expensive - can't wait for Tesco to do hotels, you know, "buy one get one free"!

Having ages to get the best deal I was so pre-occupied with doing this that I missed the best offer which was to book a month in advance with the likes of Travelodge. With increasingly less weeks to go I started to rely upon the late bookings site to get the best deal. Fortunately we had a discount for one of the big chains and that offered a really good discount againt the standard prices and looked like a winner if nothing else came up.

Having signed up for another one of the chains i was trying to get a best deal on that, except the best deal was always better on the public site, and often said they had spaces, whereas when i tried the "preferred site" they often said no availability. Unfortunately, the public site would have its own idiosyncratic ways, as their price would fluctuate. So with two weeks to go i was still waiting on the best deal, starting to have a niggling feeling that I'd end up paying full price somewhere just to get in!

So with a week to go I was sure the next time my chain had a deal i would book it - with five days to go their price stayed as it was. I figured maybe with less days to go they would change and drop the price - No it didn't - So while i needed to book quick i also didn't want to pay a higher price than was strictly necessary. With two days to go I went to book and decided against it - give it one more day! Had a sneak look at work in morning and still price remained - mindlessly checking it in the afternoon the price had gone down! Ah book it now! Except I didn't have my details with me - so got home that evening and fortunately the lower price was still on offer - booked that, and Job done. Checked the next day and the price has gone back up and stayed there. What's that all about then! I do know this experience means I would be rubbish on ebay, I just can't take the pace. Better start thinking about booking summer holidays i suppose!

No comments: